Child Support Attorney in San Bernardino & Redlands, California

How is child support determined in California?

The Agnos Minimum Child Support Standards Act was enacted in 1984 by the California State Legislature to establish minimum levels of child support and to set guidelines which govern awards of support which fall above those statutory minimums. Known as the “Child Support Guideline” (amended July 1, 1992) it includes calculations for determining the minimum amount of support expected from the paying parent.

Family court judges use mathematical formulas and specialized computer programs to determine each parent’s total monthly gross (before taxes) income. Then the court looks at the percentage of time that the paying parent has with the minor child or children. There are certain deductions that may be added such as other children from another relationship that the paying parent is also supporting, union dues, health care costs, mandatory retirement deducted from the payer parent’s check, etc.

How long do I have to make child support payments?

Generally speaking, in California, child support payments must be made until children reach the age of 18, or 19 years of age, when the child/children are full time students and, have not yet graduated from high school.

How does the payer parent make child support payments?

Unless the custodial parent agrees to receive a monthly or bi-monthly check, the receiving parent may choose to receive the support payments by wage assignment. That is, at the receiving party’s choice, the child support payments are deducted directly from the wages of the parent who is obligated to pay.

The Law Offices, Stefan Robert Pancer, P.C. are very familiar with the issues affecting and determining child custody, visitation and support. If you are involved with California child custody, visitation and support negotiations, or you are not receiving the support you are entitled to, contact the Law Offices, Stefan Robert Pancer, P.C. for a free telephone consultation to see if they can give you some advice on what you may consider doing in your situation, and how they can help.

Learn more about what to do if your ex is not paying child support.